On this Eve of Thanksgiving, I wanted to take that proverbial moment to give thanks. To step back, reflect, and recognize the abundant blessings in my life.

And this year, it really boils down to the one blessing from which all the goodness in my life flows: the blessing of motherhood.

I remember one summer during college I spent driving around Kansas and Nebraska selling ag chemicals. While I didn't have much success in ag sales, I did learn to appreciate conservative talk radio. Dr. Laura became one of my favorites. Obviously, I didn't have children at the time, but I knew that her common sense approach to motherhood was something I wanted to keep with me until that day finally came. Dr. Laura always referred to herself as "her kids' mom." I didn't really get; until I became "my kids' mom".

My identity is completely and totally wrapped up in my role as mommy. My life as a woman, a career woman, a Kansan, an American are not seperate, distinguishable roles. They are one and the same.

I can't leave the house without carrying them with me in my thoughts. I can't step into a role in my community without considering their needs.

My life-before-kids is compeltely unrecognizable. And I'm okay with that.


















Happy Thanksgiving, everyone!

Comments

Popular Posts